Thursday, September 24, 2009

Precious....and Important.


"Mr. Ron, Miss Debbie is gon' need to be careful. You see, when you is precious to God you become important to the devil. Watch your back, Mr. Ron. Somethin' bad gettin' ready to happen to Miss Debbie. The thief comes in the night."

I recently read an incredible book that tells the true story of an unlikely friendship between a homeless man and a wealthy art dealer that blossomed into a relationship that brought healing to both....and to many others along the way. Check it out if you haven't read it- it is called Same Kind of Different as Me and can be found here: http://www.samekindofdifferentasme.com/ . The picture here is of it's two authors who are also the main characters in the story....the ones between whom the conversation above is occurring...

As I have continued on my own journey since reading this book, I have often found myself returning to it's pages as I am reminded continually of the little tidbits of wisdom found in its chapters. The statement above is no exception.

I am blessed beyond measure to be a part of a wonderful church family here at Fellowship Bible Church of Northwest Arkansas. Recently, we embarked on a 50-day journey called Draw Near. It is one during which we each commit, to the Lord and to each other, to taking time each of the following 50 days to intentionally connect with the Lord. This is done through personal study of Scripture, prayer, worship, and meeting together in community- of which I have recently been reminded is a non-negotiable in the discipleship process.

We are currently about two weeks into this journey, and I have loved hearing about and reading the stories of the individuals who have chosen to throw their lives into this challenge. James 4:8 tells us that if we draw near to God He will draw near to us...and this, my friends, is what is happening. The Lord is faithful, and I can not wait to continue this adventure!

Something else has been brought to my attention throughout the past week. As I have listened to the stories of those who have decided to draw near, there are several threads that I believe have been woven into the fabric of this experience. I have heard about growing faith, restoring repentance, and overwhelming joy. I have experienced true worship, authentic community, and incredible love. However, there is also a thread that I have become painstakingly aware of that was not expected. One that was not asked for. And one....to be honest....I wish did not have a place in this experience.

The thread: pain. Amidst the incredible mountain-top stories of triumph and joy, several valleys have been deepened. Valleys that tell the stories of sickness, betrayal, loss, and hopelessness. Of persecution. Of desertion. Of pain. And while it is not my natural tendency to focus on the valleys, I have realized that, during this experience- these stories are just as important! You see, I believe what Denver said. That "when you is precious to God, you become important to the devil." While I do not claim to know whether these new struggles and hurts have arisen due to the church's "preciousness" to God as we attempt to Draw Near, I would suggest that maybe- just maybe- the devil sees something going on in NWA that he does not like. That scares the pee out of him. Just maybe. And that, my friends, may be the most incredible story of all!

As I have had several conversations regarding this the past few days, both with great friends and within my own mind, I have also come to realize something greater. Could these valleys, this unwanted thread, be a test of our faith...a test whose results will prove a genuine faith, one that will result in nothing but the praise, honor, and glory of our Father? 1 Peter 1:6-7 says:

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith-- of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

Shoot- if this is the truth, then let's party on! Let's rejoice in the trials ahead. Let's jump at the chance to make the devil pee his pants when he realizes his fire will only refine us further. If we are tired of singing, let's worship anyway! If we are tired of praying, let's pray anyway! If our eyes are so tired from crying that we just don't think we can keep them open any longer- let's jump into His Word anyway! And when we do
, we may do so with the confidence that comes from knowing He will meet us where we are...from knowing that He will, indeed, draw near.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Friend! Hope you had a great thanksgiving...
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete